Tuesday, February 19, 2013

A letter to the University of Portland president


Dear Father William Beauchamp,

You do not know me but I am a University of Portland student. My name is Andrea Merrill and I am a junior Sociology major, with a social justice minor. I grew up in Bellingham, WA with a loving mom, dad, and younger sister. During my childhood, I had a dog named Penny and two cats named Ms. Frizzle and Dusty Bones. I’m sad to say that currently, only Dusty Bones is alive today. I played soccer all the way through freshman year of high school and graduated high school in the top 10% of my class. I also have a mild obsession with coffee and like many others, I probably spend too much time watching Netflix. My sexual orientation is pansexual but as a whole, I identify as queer.

Now, why did I begin this letter with all of that personal information? The reason is that I wanted to show that I am not simply my sexual orientation or my gender identity. I am a student, an activist, an animal lover, a nerd, a coffee enthusiast, and queer. While I do wear many hats with all of the activities I am involved in, I refuse to be defined by one aspect of my personality.

I realize that the University of Portland is a catholic institution and I honestly respect someone’s beliefs. Through the several theology classes that I’ve taken at UP and my work with a new coalition called Campus Pride in Faith, I have come to discover a deep respect for religion that I did not have before.

I also realize that I chose to go to UP three years ago and that I still choose to go today. My enrollment at the university is voluntary and after switching majors last spring (nursing to sociology), I had to spend a little bit of time convincing my parents to let me stay at UP instead of transferring to a less expensive school. The reason why is because I really do love the UP community and I really love Portland. I love how successful the soccer team is and how beautiful the campus can be during a sunny day. I love the opportunities I have had since coming to this school and I cannot wait to go on many more adventures during the next year and a half.

With that, I want to speak on the words you said at the Fireside Chat on Monday, February 18th and the atmosphere that currently exists on campus. As someone who does not identity as heterosexual and is very involved in the LGBTQ community, I have come to feel less and less safe on campus. I’m afraid that I might say the wrong thing in class or that I might act in a way that might warrant suspicion in my fellow students and in faculty and staff members. So far in the past three weeks, I have honestly come home and sobbed because I have felt invalidated as a human being because of what another student or faculty member said in class or otherwise. I no longer feel comfortable being open with my identity on campus because I am tired of defending myself.

And that’s it exactly. I am so tired of explaining who I am and trying to validate just another part of my identity every single day on campus.

You, the administration, students, faculty and staff members, and the Catholic community have the right to believe that acting sexually on a homosexual identity is wrong but you and others do NOT have the right to make me feel invalidated as a human being. The University of Portland campus needs to start having REAL discussions about this issue. We need to start understanding each other and hearing others’ stories in a safe and honest way.  People, including you, need to start understanding the struggles that others go through.

I’m tired of trying to defend myself and I’m tired of hearing my friends’ stories of the same issues.  Real change needs to happen at the University of Portland and it is not going to start unless we begin to talk.

My regards,

Andrea Merrill