Monday, February 4, 2013

My relationship to the cool humans I call parents

I started writing this post a couple weeks ago after spending some time on the phone with my mom talking about an idea I had for spring break.

Growing up, I've always been much closer with my dad than with my mom. That's just how my life has been. Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to say that my mom and I never got along but rather, we've had more disagreeing opinions about things than my dad and I have.

To describe my parents in any sort of label would be almost impossible. They're two of the coolest, weirdest, hard-working, and just plain awesome people that I have ever meet.

Over the past couple of years, both my parents have started to use technology and social media so much more, especially my father. My friends can attest to the fact that my father will literally send me random photos of what he is doing (and they know because I think it's the best thing ever and show everyone around me the photos). My favourite photo? Him on a boat. He wanted to tell me that he was boating that day. So rather than texting me "hey! I'm boating!" or a picture of the boat, it's a close up of him on a boat with no caption. It took me a few moments to figure out what was going on. He also has started to use Facebook more, which has been the best for figuring out what's going on at home.

My mother started texting when I moved away for college. Literally moments after driving away from helping me move into my dorm room freshman year, I get my mom's first text message, which said "I love you." When I responded with the same, my sister said she started crying. Whoops! But since then, I've gotten a good number of texts from my mom, all of which have been quite amusing. One of my favourites was when our dog apparently went for a swim in a swamp and my mom claimed that "he was a stinker lure by ducks!" I could not make this stuff up.

But in all seriousness, I love my parents and their goofy ways. It's really because of them that I have a weird sense of humour and a random collection of trinkets from all over the world. I would not be where I am now if it weren't for them.