Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Queer Media

I spend what can now be considered to be a ridiculous amount of time online watching videos and reading articles and blogs about the queer community. (And by queer, I'm referring to the sexual minority and gender identity minority community. When I use the word queer, I mean it as a reference as an umbrella term for anyone who does not identify in a heteronormative way.)

Anywoooo. I thought I'd share some of my favorite queer media pieces. I'm only planning to share a few and my knowledge of queer media is extremely limited so if I'm missing something, please please please let me know! I'm ALWAYS interested in finding more queer media! (No srsly. If there is something that I'm missing, PLEASE TELL ME. Because srsly, I want to consume more.)

Videos

The Peculiar Kind - Oh goodness. I've watched pretty much all of these videos like, three times each. For some reason, I just can't stop watching them. But! The Peculiar Kind is a web series with two seasons under its belt and focuses on a group of queer people of color.

Far Between - This website focuses on the intersection of homosexuality and Mormonism and has several interviews with Mormons struggling with their sexuality or with a part of their identity.

Basic Rights Oregon has tons of videos and resources that you can find on their website. Srsly, just spend some time on the website. There is a video series called "Our Families" that looks at the intersection of race and sexuality.

Love is All You Need? This is a 20ish minute video that looks at how things might be if homosexualtiy was the norm and if a girl was struggling with being straight. It's about 20 minutes long and definitely worth the watch. While watching it, notice the change in gender norms that occurs.

Rainbow Across My Electorate - This is a video of a New Zealand politician giving a speech on why he is was voting yes on their now approved marriage equality bill. Rainbows and Kiwis: what more could you ask for in a video?

Dear Straight People - I actually got some backlash from some people about this video, as it is a spoken word poet expressing their frustration with the heteronormativity that exists in mainstream society. I love this video mainly because I can relate to it on several levels and I find it funny in many many ways.

Queer Undocumented Immigrant Project

Fifty Shades of Gay - This video is a TED talk and honestly one of my favorite ones at that. The person in this video talks about her experience as a queer person and how sexuality isn't necessarily on a spectrum like society tends to think.

A spoken word duo talking about people of color and queer people. I love love LOVE this video beyond comprehension because it shows some of the struggles faced by both minority groups.

Eight Things I Don't Need to Hear from Straight People - Oh geez. I love this. Dear all of my straight friends, watch this. If you do find this uncomfortable or anything like that, please for the love of all that is holy, don't tell me about it. I'm starting to get really upset about this so I'm just going to leave it at that.

Blogs

Black Girl Dangerous - Oh sweet titties I love this blog! BGD is a way of expression for queer and trans* people of color and has some really amazing posts.

LGBTLaughs on tumblr I feel like this is self explanatory.

How to be a friend to trans folks without putting your foot in your mouth - The author of this basically gets me. Being an ally to the trans* community is really essential and can be as simple (but so not limited to) as changing the way in which you speak and address the trans* community.

Indescribably Average - this is Kirsten's blog and she has some wonderful pieces about being a person of color and identifying as bisexual as well. One of my favorite posts is her description on bisexuality but in reality, you can't go wrong. She's a brilliant writer and has some really amazing perspectives.

Also: the comic below is basically how I feel *some* heteronormative people act about the queer community.