Monday, May 6, 2013

A couple weeks ago, I had a friend say that it was surprising that I wasn't a theology major and the realm of theology and congregations were missing out on a really great person. He meant this as a compliment and let me tell you, if someone told me that a year ago, I would have been offended. Now? I'm actually quite honored by the statement.

But his comments have stayed with me over the past several weeks and I can't help but imagine what it would be like to go into theology. I'm fairly certain that I would scare people....

The best way to describe me, especially in light of the past several months, would probably be a radical queer feminist and a pretty angry one at that. Pretty much every inch and fiber of my existence goes against any sort of conservative religion. I'm angry. I yell. I try to destroy the status quo in every possible moment I have. I'm not the person to obediently bow down to some authority figure without intense emotions. And even the times I do adhere to authority, it's usually because something outside of myself is on the line. By myself? I really don't give a rat's hairy behind as to what people could do to me. But I guess that's all of the years of being hurt and betrayed talking.

I'm stubborn as all hell and I swear like a pirate with an intestinal complication. I have multiple piercings and a tattoo might happen in my future (who knows really).

I defy all of the stereotypes that exist within the religious community as far as religious scholars or people of power. I like to joke that I have a Hulk activist mode, where something gets me started and I end up yelling about some social issue or the status quo.

Ultimately, this friend's statements have really stayed with me since he said them. But in reality, I know that at least for now, the religious life just isn't for me.