Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Equality.

If equal rights mean I can be just like a man, then I don't want them.

If equal rights mean I can be just like a straight person, then I don't want them.

If equal rights mean that people of color can be just like the white man, then I don't want them.

If equal rights mean that I have to still put myself into a premarked box, then I don't want them.

I don't want to be equal to another if I still have to struggle day in and day out to explain to the other how I see myself in the world. I don't want to be equal because in many ways I would be joining a country club of people that have oppressed me and so many more for generations and generations.

I don't want equality if it means I have to give up being different in order to be normal or to be average.

I want to push the limits and challenge the norms. I want to be able to look at issues as an outsider and see see exactly what so many others seem to miss. I want to be able to be me without the designed labels and roles.

I want to be able to be fluid with my gender, challenging the binary of male and female and show those younger than me and those who raised me that your biology doesn't dictate whether or not you can paint your nails or have short hair, that your biology doesn't mean you have to wear a dress or can't at all.

I want to be able to be fluid with my sexuality and not have labels thrust upon me by someone else. My sexuality isn't a species waiting to be named if only I sat down long enough but instead a big ball of constantly shifting wibbly wobbly things.

I have privileges that many do not and these privileges define how I see the world just as much as the ways in which I'm oppressed.

And if equality means being normal or average, then stay away. If equality means oppressing more in different ways, then don't come near.

And if equality means that we can say that people are equal yet those who have the power continue to have the power regardless, then society fails.

If equality means that I still have to fit a into a narrow label, then I will have a big side of no thanks. I don't want to be normal or fit in. I simply want the freedom to be able to express myself in the ways I want, not the ways in which society deems normal, but still have the respect of others and the power to dictate my life.