Thursday, June 20, 2013

LGBT: the alphabet soup of the queer community.

There is plenty of ways in which the term LBGT varies in usage. The simplest acronym refers to the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community. The most complicated, at least to my personal knowledge, is LGBTQQIAA, which means lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning, intersex, asexual, and ally. The acronym can be debated over and over but in reality, whatever variant used is being used to describe an extremely large and diverse group of people.

While the acronym can be used in a beneficial way, as it can be a quick way in which people can categorize those who don't into the heternormative or gender binary narrative. It's an easy way in which people can understand where others are coming from. I'll admit, there are some benefits to using the acronym. It can be (but not always) a call for instant community.

But even with the benefits, I'm still hesitant about the term. At least in my perspective, in mainstream society, any variation of LGBT is typically really only used to mean gay men and lesbians. Yes, not every one mean in such a way but when main media sources in different forms use the term LGBT, they're typically referring to at and lesbian couples fighting for marriage equality, which is a way in which people who identify as bisexual are alienated. (What I mean by that last part is that there is the general assumption that people in same sex relationships are simply gay, as if bisexual people choose a side to be on when they are in a relationship. Which is not only completely incorrect but adheres to the binary system.)

And even when the term isn't used to just mean gay men or lesbians, I still don't feel like it is completely inclusive enough to actually be used for those who are more variant in their sexual orientation or gender identity. There are so many other identities that people decide to identify with, myself included, that aren't included in any variation of LGBT. I feel selfish to ask for a little representation in the community that I belong to but is there a way we could change the way we address this community? Because it just seems like there are populations that don't fit into the term.

But is it too much to ask for some representation? Is it too much for me to ask that the connotation of LGBT is not only gay men and lesbians but every variant in the gender identity and sexual minority? And I'm really not trying to rag on gay men or lesbians, really. I'm not frustrated at individuals but I'm frustrated at society and how issues are handled. If I get a comment regarding this, I will delete it because really it's frustrating. I'm not trying to take away power from gay men and lesbians but instead trying to reclaim some space for myself.

At the same time, there is such connotation with the term LGBT, which goes back to the fact that gay men and lesbians have such a dominating voice for the community. For me, it's frustrating to be a part of this community and fight for equality for some but not others (see: marriage equality, among other issues). For me, there just seems to be such a dominating voice for those on the binary system (heteronormative and homosexual, men and women) that those who don't fall into those categories are often pushed to the side.

When I use the term LGBTQ, which has been my common use of the acronym, it has a very alienating sound to it for me. I guess a part of this lies within the history of the gay rights movements, how intersectionality is overlooked typically, and that I have more issues with where the movement is going and how it has been handled than anything else.

Basically, I wish that there was a way in which we could address the LGBTQ community and truly address everyone that falls into the minority of sexual orientation and gender identity. I wish there was a way in which queer people of every identity could come together to share their stories, voices, and experiences. I hope that eventually there is a way in which misconceptions and ignorance can be addressed not only in regards to this issue but for every single minority and alienated community.

To end this post, I guess the point was really to share of frustration over the idea of a common story because yes, there are common elements to stories but in reality, it's extremely difficult to capture people based on what community they adhere to.