Monday, July 22, 2013

Today, an older gentleman started talking about reading the Old Testament in a coffee shop and I couldn't help but tense up. That seems to be a general reaction that I have whenever religion is brought up in most contexts.

Some know that I have been a part of an interfaith committee at Basic Rights Oregon for the past several months and that I have been helping with a multimedia exhibit called "Coming Out as a Person of Faith". The exhibit is a collection of a video, photos, and audio pieces that highlight faith leaders and couples of faith expressing their support of marriage equality. This project has become my baby in many ways; I've devoted many resources, time, and energy to making this project succeed. I've spent hours and hours setting the project up and taking it down in several different locations around Portland, as it is a moving exhibit.

I've spent many Wednesday nights meeting with the interfaith committee about the exhibit and have learned from so many about what it means to be a queer person of faith. I've gone to five different faith communities with the exhibit and have had the chance to talk to people of relatively different faith backgrounds. I can name even more congregations that are welcoming and affirming of the LGBT community around the Portland area. (This project in conjunction with my work at an interfaith organization means that going anywhere with me results in me pointing at different churches, parishes, synagogues, etc when we go by them.)

However, while this work has done a lot for me in regards to opening my view of religion, it still hasn't changed my reaction to faith and religion in everyday life. With my work with this committee and exhibit, I feel protected in so many ways.

So today, when a gentleman started talking about the Old Testament, I tensed up and waited for something homophobic, transphobic, or misogynic to arise. And the entire time I was overhearing his conversation, not once did anything of the sort come up.

But I think that it is important to address that even with experience around welcoming faith communities, I still feel that dread and fear when faith and religion is addressed. Basically, this post was just my long way of saying that there is not only work to be done with faith communities but also with the queer communities that still tense up like I do.